Sunday 2 January 2011

Biscuits & gravy oh my!

It struck me that there is quite the back catalogue of American foods that I have tried. Well, not being one to hold back on a bit of cullinary gossip I thought I'd start sharing some of my experiences of the new world (if my fingers can find the right keys on the Blackberry - I need a stylus).

Let's start with a classic American food - biscuits and gravy.

Ok, ok I have trouble with this one right from the start. Its the name. A biscuit is not a bread like roll,its a hard snack best served with a cup of tea. For my American readers I'm talking about something along the lines of an Oreo.

That aside, they aren't too bad. I love the home bake type as fresh bread in the morning is wonderful! Flakey biscuits are the best by far as they taste like crossiants (or crescents as some people call them here) AND they are fun to peel the layers apart - plus you are ALLOWED to do so! How awesome is that? The non- flakey kind are just wrong and are kind of like a fluffy scone gone wrong and that is never a good thing!

So far so good. Now we have the (sawmill) gravy. Firstly its a white sauce not a gravy as there are no meat products in it (but I'm being picky). Secondly, why ruin a nice continental breakfast by getting it all soggy?! You can tell I'm not a fan. I've tried so hard with this one as my wife loves it but I just can't! The gravy would be great as an interesting alternative to a cheese sauce for pasta but not at breakfast! I'll stick to butter and/or jam (jelly)!

No comments:

Post a Comment